How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 15804
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

Sorry I am messaging you as my flatmate and I are currently

This answer was rated:

Hi there
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Hi there, sorry I am messaging you as my flatmate and I are currently looking for advice on what to do if your landlord breaches the tenancy agreement. We reported repairs leaks from the bathroom and mold growing 2 months ago but are yet to receive any reply let alone any repairs since. As such we have now seen increased water bubbles develop in the living room below and the ceiling has actually collapse twice now. We are student and we believe the landlord is in breach of the contract as it says they should take no more than 14 days to respond to repairs but yet were constantly chasing us for rent owed. We have emails and pictures from the first day we moved in compared to now and you can see the development of the leaks, cracks and mold. In addition, as I have a breathing condition -asthma, I have recently experience tighter airways due to the potent smell in the kitchen/living room and took my self to A&E to be examined. We believe this house is not in liveable conditions especially with my asthmatic condition and we were wondering what advice we could get?Regards,
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Another section of the contract was breached where we moved into the house without it being professionally cleaned prior and I’m raising this because as I was going thru the tenancy agreement I can see that they require us to do that when we are exiting the flat Not yet no
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Fallowfield, Manchester
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just that we are students


Thank you for your query.  I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

Have you reported the matter to the licensing and environmental health departments of your local council?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not yet no, we were unaware of what to do next
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Would you advise we do that first? Ofc bring the pictures too
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for the reply as well


I would suggest you file a formal complaint with the Council first.  They should investigate and take any necessary action against your landlord.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Many thanks,

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you very much sir.You have a good day

It is a pleasure.

Good luck!

INC Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you