How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3157
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

Do I need a Power of Attorney to sell a UK property

This answer was rated:

Do I need a Power of Attorney to sell a UK property belonging to my son, who lives outside thE UK?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: The property is sold. I have employed a solicitor who has informed me that I need a Power of Attorney, not a Letter of Authority, which my son has provided. I have sold property for my son previously without a Power of Attorney.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: See previous answer.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing else.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Thank you for the question.  The simple answer is yes, you will require a property and financial PoA if you wish to sell a property for someone who is living abroad.  Even if you have previously been able to do so with a letter of authority, most selling agents (and certainly solicitors) require a Power of Attorney as it is the recognised passing of legal power. If you do not have one then the solicitor you are using (or any other solicitor) will be able to obtain one for you quite easily.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help. Regards

You are welcome and I wish you all the best.

RJM Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you