How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3157
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

This relates to a buy-to-let property. The managing agents

This answer was rated:

This relates to a buy-to-let property. The managing agents have not paid forward the rent fir April. They are not responding to emails or phone calls. I know the tenant has paid the rent as we have been in contact. His rent comes from Universal Credit. What’s my next step?
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: None. I have had no receipts or invoices for several months.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Middlesbrough
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Thank you for the question.  Obviously the letting agent is contractually bound to pay this forward to you therefore if they do not they can be deemed to be in breach of contract.  What you require to do next is send a letter to them and state that they are in breach of your agreement and accordingly if they do not pay the sums forward to you, you will have no choice but to raise a legal claim against them to obtain the same.  In addition you could also inform them that as they have breached the contract you could have the right to terminate the contract and move forward in the future with another agent.  If they still do not respond then you can use the small claims action process to obtain the sums due to you.

You can complete the forms for a small claims action easily online.  You will have to highlight what the issues are and tell them how much you are claiming for, to be honest the first are straight forward and self-explanatory.   If you feel you can do this yourself then you don’t really need to hire a solicitor but I will provide details for you in case you feel you want to.  You will then receive a response to the claim and a court date.  On the day (unless they offer a settlement) you will appear at the local court and basically provide your evidence and give you claim to the judge and they will response.  The judge will assess the merits of the claim and defence and make a judgement this should be relatively easy for you to prove so the respondent may well offer a settlement in the meantime.

I hope this information has helped.  You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the  future,  please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Many thanks. In regard to the small claims court. Would it be local to the property? The flat is in Middlesbrough and I live in Taunton! Travelling and overnighting in Middlesbrough would probably wipe out the rent owed at £433! Can I request a hearing in Taunton?

When the application is made the court will apply the correct jurisdiction.  If you were to have travelling expense then this can also be removed.

RJM Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you