Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Unfair service charges, hertfordshire, complained to the

unfair service charges
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: hertfordshire
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: complained to the landlord of the building
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

What would you like to know?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi there
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have a shared ownership flat, i have received the invoice for this year's service charges and due to various repairs and increased maintenance costs around the block of flats, they are charging me 48% more than last year (an extra £555 for the year).
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i cannot afford this and was wondering if it is even legal for that big of an increase in just one year

Ultimately you would have to check the agreement between yourself and the housing association/company which is co-owner under the shared ownership agreement and governs the management of the building. This will stipulate how and when service charges should increase however, if the agreement does not limit the service charges, there is no law which says they cannot increase service charges as a more general legal provision. I trust this assists you in understanding your position however, should you have any supplementary inquiries, do not hesitate to ask and I will look to clarify or expand on my previous response.

I thank you for visiting the website and for the opportunity to assist you with your inquiry. If you have further questions, inquiries or queries let me know post haste and I will attempt to answer them. Otherwise I bid you a good day