UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Is landlord of commercial property responsible for central

Customer Question

Hi Is landlord of commercial property responsible for central heating boiler replacement?
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: No. Landlord is a local Council and they are trying to push this responsibility away
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Milton Keynes. It is community house for Polish community in Milton Keynes
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just need to confirm that before taking any action I believe
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We have just Recieved another email from Milton Keynes Council after reporting issue 2weeks ago confirming that it is not their responsibility.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 17 days ago.

I am a solicitor and will try and help. Do you have a lease? If so, what does it say about fixtures and fittings?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We Hava a "tenancy at will" agreement.
Can email you a copy. There is no fixtures and fitting section

Yes, please upload a copy using the paperclip icon.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We are in contract with them to provide culture education and interaction with local community.
The tenant shall be responsible for all charges in connection with the supply to or removal from the property of electricity, telecommunications, gas, water sewage and other utilities.
Pat and all other testing.
And all little things.
Nothing about boiler replacement

Usually, in commercial properties, tenants are responsible for such matters, unlike residential properties where the landlords are responsible.

You may try and negotiate with the council about meeting halfway if possible or them agreeing to waive the rent in lieu of you paying for a replacement boiler, as conversely, there is nothing in the lease/tenancy agreement that says the council has to replace the boiler.

All the best