How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2299
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

My landlord can took money from my deposit 50£ because I use

This answer was rated:

my landlord can took money from my deposit 50£ because I use one pillow from the house? , it was in house when I moved and he said I can use what I need. And one more, I was still on contract with house but 1 month ago they come back in England from malaysia and they quarantine 10 days, after that he just text my is moving in house with my second day. He had the right to do that?


Was the landlord staying in the same property before he travelled to Malaysia and is this one where the landlord is trying to evict you with a short notice period?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We stay on same address, but was rented before a studio flat what their buid them before, stay like 3 years and after he said is moving to Malaysia, so I rent the all house and after I rent the studio to a couple. My I give the notice with 2 or 3 months, because I was need to relocate far where my company was moved now in May.


Thanks for the further information.

Unfortunately I cam not assit you on your query.  Therefore I will opt out.

Another expert can step in to resolve your follow up question.


Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm where are you based?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Another thing recently they sold the house and still want to charge me with everything what they find, I don't think I can recover my deposit from this people, the husband was kind of lawyer so they trow me everything, even for a pillow
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Him is chinese and wife Malaysia

Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Unless there is a contract in place stating that you would be charged for the use of the pillow then they cannot charge you for this. Moreover,

Your landlord has a legal requirement to protect your deposit under one of the deposit schemes ( Deposit Protection Service (DPS) My Deposits. Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS). If they do not do so you can claim up to 3x the deposit for not putting in the scheme. You can read more about this here:

I would advise the following steps:

1) make a formal complaint by writing a letter to your landlord.

Explain your problem and what you want them to do to solve it. You should include in your letter:

what you’re complaining about

what you want them to do about the problem

dates and times the problem took place

copies of any letters or emails between you and your landlord

Copy of the tenancy contract if applicable

2) If making a formal complaint to your landlord doesn't solve your problem you will need to make a complaint to your local council. You can find contact information for your local council here:

3) As a last resort you will need to take the matter to court. You should also make a claim for the extra costs you have had to pay. I would advise that you find a solicitor in your area to represent you using one of the options below.

The solicitor will be able to weigh all the evidence before them and help you build a strong case. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here: You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you.  You may qualify for legal aid if you have low income and want to take the case to court. You can check if you can get legal aid here: You can find a legal aid solicitor by using this link: Legal aid is free assistance to people who cannot afford to pay legal fees such as legal advice and proceedings. You could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) ( For more information please visit: CAB’s are accessible in different areas in the country providing free legal advice to individuals who cannot afford this. You can contact them by phone to book a face to face appointment. They may also be able to provide phone appointments.  Moreover, you might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending/contacting a LawWorks Clinic. A probono lawyer is a free lawyer. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website:

You can also find other means of getting help with legal fees using this link: I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!

Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2299
Experience: Lawyer
Joy Nicholas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you