Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I am a landlord and wishing to sell one of my properties in

Customer Question

Hello, I am a landlord and wishing to sell one of my properties in Wales. My tenant has been in the property since January 2012 and originally signed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement for 6 months. In the absence of any contract renewal, I believe the contract is rolling and my tenant is now a periodic tenant. My question is how much notice do I need to give to my tenant to vacate my property?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Nothing has been done so far. I want to be fair and reasonable to my tenant and just want to explore the correct protocol for serving a notice to quit in terms of the notice period.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing else
Expert:  Stuart J replied 21 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Do they know of your wishes to sell yet?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi there, no they are not aware of my wish to sell but as I said in my earlier message, I want to be fair and reasonable with them.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 21 days ago.

It changed yesterday.

Any notice must be in the statutory format in writing.

The notice period originally was 2 months under section 21 and it could be as low as 2 weeks under section 8 but it changed to 3 months on 25 March last year and to 6 months on the 31st of June last year.

From , 1 June 2021, those notice periods are now generally 4 months.

However certain notice periods are shorter such as rent arrears but there have to be far more rent arrears now than there were before.  It used to be 2 months, notes 6 months.  So it appears to be more favourable to the landlord but in actual fact it isn’t.

The government have produced this webpage on exactly this subject:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-and-renting-guidance-for-landlords-tenants-and-local-authorities/technical-guidance-on-eviction-notices

so it depends on why you want the tenant out as to how much notice but at the moment it’s 4 months which would be under section 21.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have