Jo W
Jo W, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert in property law including landlord and tenant
112062897

I rented a house in very bad condition it had been rented

Customer Question

I rented a house in very bad condition it had been rented for 20 years They wanted a long term tentant. That would improve a look after property inside I spent over 15,000 with a permission from landlord to decorate when finished manageing agent as photos the next week the landlord served notice saying he wanted to sell it I am very shocked I can not lose all this money it was not what was agreed
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bray Berkshire SL6 2AU
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: they house had been empty for 6 months it was in a very bad condition I did have 2 valuation because I though I would be able to find a buy to let landlord to buy with me in it
Expert:  Jo W replied 21 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a solicitor here to help you with your question. I will respond as soon as practicable which will be some time today.

Expert:  Jo W replied 21 days ago.

Hi there.  Can you just clarify a few things for me:

1. When did you move into the property?

2. Can you send over a copy of your tenancy agreement please  (There's a paper clip icon to do so)

3. Were you paying a market rent when you moved into the property?

4. You mention it was not what was agreed.  What was agreed with the landlord and how - verbally/in writing?

5.  How long was the agreement for you to stay in the property, the Term.

Let me know and we can take it from there.  Please note, I'm going offline shortly but will be back online tomorrow.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you very muc
Expert:  Jo W replied 20 days ago.

I have received a payment failure message from our Customer Services.  Please can you contact them to confirm payment has been made on 0808(###) ###-####  Apologies if this is a system error, I don't have any sight or control of the payment process.