Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

Our landlady has been a nightmare since we moved in. She

Customer Question

Hi there, our landlady has been a nightmare since we moved in. She hasn't fixed any of the things that we agreed on email to having sorted prior to us moving into the property and finally she gave us the option to leave our contract as long as we paid her £117. Since agreeing to that, she has asked us to stop using one of the bathrooms due to a leak, but hasn't fixed it. She's still trying to make us pay the fee and we don't know what to do. We want to know if anyone can help look into the entire situation and see if we are just being bullied or if we do have to pay something. Thank you
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No we haven't, we just have everything on email
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Lower Clapton
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 21 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

Please can you confirm prior to signing the agreement the landlady agreed to undertake such tasks before you moved in and her agreement influenced you decision to sign the tenancy agreement.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi there, thanks so much for responding. Yes thats correct. It was originally all discussed with an estate agency on email and then we signed and paid deposit etc. The landlady then fired the estate agency 2 months into our tenancy

From the circumstance described it appears the landlady's conduct prior to signing the tenancy agreement could be deemed a misleading action which likely influenced you to sign the tenancy agreement. Misleading action as described can be deemed an unfair trading practices, which is prohibited by the Consumer Protection (Amendment) Regulations 2014. The law states that where someone has entered into a contract as a result of a misleading action or aggressive practice, redress under this civil law may be obtained through the right to unwind the contract, a discount and/or damages. In order to claim this right, you must inform the landlady (or landlord's agent) that you want to reject the contract within 90 days.

Further I suggest you reject her request for £117 given my comments above and remind the landlady of your rights under law. Assuming she does not accept your position, you can file a complaint against her by contacting the local council.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you for explaining. Also we had signed a contract for an unfurnished apartment and moved into one which had 2 sofas, a chest of drawers, clothes rails, mirrors and a large shelving unit already in it and she refused to get rid of anything for over a month deeming she had misunderstood what unfurnished meant. Is this resolved in the same way as you have stated above? Thank you

I would say so and the landlady excuse is not good enough.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it

Your welcome

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe