INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I own some properties with a friend. Properties were never

Customer Question

Hi , i own some properties with a friend. Properties were never in a Partnership. I kept the tax records and my friend never bothered keeping any records. At the year end i would give her the tax numbers. Now several years later she is demanding that i give her copies of all my personal tax records. My question is ..Am i legally obliged to do this?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: united kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I offered to give her solicitor my records to be copied by her solicitor, but she is demand
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: demanding that i provide copies
Expert:  INC Law replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

I am of the opinion that you are under no obligation to provide your tax records.  These are personal to you and are confidential.

I would suggest offering to provide confirmation from HMRC that your returns have been filed.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

many thanks,