MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

If i payed a deposit on a house in full and then i didnt go

Customer Question

if i payed a deposit on a house in full and then i didnt go ahead with the sale do they keep the deposit
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: i signed papers then there was a problem because i was made bankrupt so i had 10 days to sort it out at the end of the time it saw not sorted so i lost my deposit of £36000
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: i phoned the ombudsman he said i had to write to the lawyer if i didnt hear from them to write agine after 1 month if ididnt get a reply to make an appointment with him at £250 per hour and the most he could recoup would be £5000
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: this was a long time ago maybe 20 years was just asking out of interest sitting here doing nothing
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 20 days ago.

Good morning, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today.

If you had exchanged contracts on your purchase but you were unable to complete the transaction due to being made bankrupt the sellers would be entitled to keep the deposit and also pursue for damages for breach of contract.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok tks basically that's what happened

Thanks for the confirmation, under the terms of the contract the seller would have been entitled to retain the deposit.

Hopefully, I have answered your quesition but if anything remians unclear I will be happy to assist you further.