MarianC
MarianC,
Experience:  Expert
109551472

I have recently been widowed. I am the sole executor and

Customer Question

I have recently been widowed. I am the sole executor and beneficiary of the estate.
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: What do you mean by state? I am in the UK.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have a will, death certificate etc. I have so far not required probate because everything was in joint names and the biggest asset (my husband pension was set up to pass to me 100%. However - he has been left a sum of money in a relative's will - the person who left this money predeceased my husband (as yet this is an unknown amount). The Solicitors advise me that I will now have to apply for probate.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am not sure how to proceed as I do not know the total value of the estate
Expert:  MarianC replied 17 days ago.

Good afternoon thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear that you have lost your husband. Do you mean that you do not know the value of the relative's estate, or of your husband's estate? For your husband's estate the solicitor will want to know the value of all of the joint assets including the property and also an idea of what will be due from the other estate.

Marian

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have an approximation for all the joint assets. But as the relative's inheritance to my late husband has not been finalised I do not have a valuation for that sole asset. The solicitor dealing with that estate has told me I need to get probate but when I tried to apply for it - I apparently have to state what the value is.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I don't really want to commit to higher fees if it's a straightforward matter. If you are unable to help with a simple response I will try to find help elsewhere.
Just to clarify - was this a free trial or have I been charged £5?.
Thankyou.
Expert:  MarianC replied 17 days ago.

I'm sorry I don't know about the fees or the trial, I only see the questions. You should ask the solicitor for an estimated figure of what you should expect, it does not have to be exact.

Expert:  MarianC replied 17 days ago.

Good afternoon, are you able to contact the solicitor for the relative to obtain an estimate of what amount you should expect to receive?

Marian

Expert:  MarianC replied 15 days ago.

Good afternoon, I will close the thread please contact me if you need further assistance.

Marian