Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

About noisy neighbour - private nuisance, no, London, that's

Customer Question

about noisy neighbour - private nuisance
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: no
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: London
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: that's it
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
i recently bought and moved into my new home
a period conversion building in London
my neighbor downstairs been complaining about the noise from my day to day activities such as walking around , using washing machine, using toilet etc
background is that when they bought their flat, they had to re-do all their flooring with sound proofing. they assumed that there is no soundproofing in our flat too. so they arranged for their contractor (apparently approved by Westminster council for acoustic) to come and inspect our floor and carpet. it turned out our flat is different, soundproofing was done, and their contractor said the in-place soundproofing is what he would do if there was no soundproofing, so nothing can be done
my neighbour came back 2 weeks later saying they contacted another acoustic engineer, and the new engineer said something different and that there is something to be done by adding even thicker soundproofing material on top of existing (which was good deemed by the other contractor used by my neighbour themselves)It would cost £10-15k to do the work. I want to understand my options / position. I don't think I should be compelled into doing it or even if it should be done at my costs? (highlighting that there is already soundproofing done )
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 19 days ago.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Happy to wait. How long will that take. Thanks.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
It’s should be for private nuisance lawyer
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 18 days ago.

I thank you for visiting the website and for the opportunity to assist you with your inquiry. If you have further questions, inquiries or queries let me know post haste and I will attempt to answer them. Otherwise I bid you a good day

So in essence the noises they are complaining about are ordinary noises which are not above the normal sound levels expected?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Yea. Just ordinary living. Washing machine using. But I agree the washing machine can be quite loud at the end of cycle but that’s just the way washing machine works.

I understand, generally a private nuisance must be out of the ordinary, it is not always the case but is a good guide and even where it has not been held to be the case it is very much exceptional such as very noisy children running up and down on wooden floors all day. Therefore, I do not feel you need to pay the cost of he noise insulation if you agree to it and you do not have to agree to it. I trust this assists you in understanding your position however, should you have any supplementary inquiries, do not hesitate to ask and I will look to clarify or expand on my previous response.