SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

My landlord has give me 2 months notice to vacate the flat,

Customer Question

Good evening my landlord has give me 2 months notice to vacate the flat, as he has decided to sell it, is this allowed?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: abbey wood London
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my contract ended on the 24 of may
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am very sorry to hear about your dilemma, but will do my best to provide you with advice and guidance on what to do next. The current law, from 1st June, is that your landlord has to give you four months notice. From 29th August to 31st May the notice period was six months - unless you were in six months or more of rent arrears,

So if you have no rent arrears, the two month notice is invalid.

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you so much , my rent has been paid up to 24 June
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 13 days ago.

You do not have to move out anyway - to get you out the landlord has to serve a valid notice and then obtain a possession order from the court. Anything else would be an illegal eviction.