MarcInLaw
MarcInLaw,
Experience:  Expert
110941711

Section 8: Next Steps. We have served a section 8 notice to

Section 8 : Next Steps.
We have served a section 8 notice to a tenant who owes us more than 6 months rent.
After the 4 weeks what is the next steps we have to take to Evict the tenant and how long will this process take.

Hello, this is MarcInLaw and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.

Please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and in no event create a lawyer-client relationship.

Thank you for your patience. I am sorry to hear about it. There are two things you need to note: you can try to recover your money in a small claims court. You can do it any any time and you are not affected by the Covid rules. To issue a claim please click here: Make a money claim online - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

However, to evict a tenant you need to comply with the latest government rules which are here: Guidance for landlords and tenants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). Accordingly, from 1 June 2021, landlords must serve at least four months’ notice if they wish to evict tenants. Before June it was six months. So once you have served the notice you need to wait.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me with any follow up questions. I am happy to help.