J.Ustinovskaya
J.Ustinovskaya,
Experience:  Expert
112772957

I'm about to rent a property, can I send you the contract to

Customer Question

Hi, I'm about to rent a property, can I send you the contract to check if it's OK? The company that is stated as the landlord is not a registered company
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, only paid the deposit but that was necessary to view the property. I need someone to check the contract please
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No, I'm looking for an opinion now
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Basically that's it, thanks
Expert:  J.Ustinovskaya replied 12 days ago.

Dear Client, my name is***** am a solicitor. Please upload the contract here in the chat and I will assist you with it.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello Julia, thanks for your reply. I'm sorry how can I send you a pdf file? It seems like I can't upload it here
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
AST – Managed Tenancy – TDS – Updated – V1 – 31.05.2019 1
ASSURED SHORTHOLD TENANCY AGREEMENT
Relating to:***** WS2 8UH
This agreement is made on the date specified below between the Landlord and the Tenant.
The tenancy created by this agreement is an assured shorthold tenancy within the meaning of the Housing
Acts. As an assured shorthold tenancy agreement the fixed term of the tenancy can not exceed three
years. A term of more than three years must be created by Deed.
Important notes for the Tenant:
• This tenancy agreement is a legal and binding contract and the Tenant is responsible for payment
of the rent for the entire agreed term. The agreement may not be terminated early unless the
agreement contains a break clause, or written permission is obtained from the Landlord.
• Where there is more than one Tenant, they are bound by joint and several liability which means
that all of the named Tenants will be ‘jointly and severally liable’ for the Tenants’ obligations. That
means, the Landlord can take legal action against any or all of the Tenants for any breach of the
agreement. Which also means each Tenant is also responsible for their fellow Tenants’ share of
the rent and other obligations.
If you are unsure of your obligations under this agreement, then you are advised to take
independent legal advice before signing.
General Notes:
1. This agreement has been drawn up after consideration of the Office of Fair Trading’s Guidance on
Unfair Terms in Tenancy Agreements.
2. The Tenant 8F3
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It's only a little part of it, it's a 17 pages document
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can I send it to you somehow to check it?

There is a pin sign underneath the message box. Please click on it and attach the file.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (1S335PP)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** it

The landlord company is registered with the Companies House, you can find information about them here -https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/OC403259/filing-history . The landlord’s address in the tenancy agreement is wrong, as their registered address is 1 Bartholomew Lane, London, England, EC2N 2AX. The address they put it the agreement belongs to their agent - Ascend Estate, please ask the letting agent to amend the agreement accordingly, specifying the agent’s name and address in the document.

Your deposit shall be registered at the “Tenancy Deposit Scheme” - https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com/ withing 30 days and you shall be given a proof of protection document. The TDS registration number in the agreement (G10050) belongs to the agent - Ascend Estate, that is why, again, it is important to clearly name the agent in the agreement.

All the other conditions are quite standard.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
you are saying it seems safe. Thank you so much

Yes it is fine if the party is properly written (with the name of the agent and its address) or with a reference to the agency agreement, existence of which shall be also checked by you.