How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 15907
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

My mother has recently passed and left some money to her

This answer was rated:

My mother has recently passed and left some money to her grandchildren but are refusing to accept it. Do I need a legal letter from them to say they do not want it?
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Yorkshire, England
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: My mother's will and just a Whatapp message from the children
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The grandchildren are only in receipt as their mothers passed away so their share goes to their children if that makes sense


Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

If you’d rather not accept a gift from a deceased person’s estate, you have a few options…

  • You could accept the inheritance and then simply give it away. This however, could have tax implications.

  • There is the option to refuse or ‘disclaim’ the inheritance. If you disclaim an inheritance it will stay as part of the deceased’s estate and will be re-distributed. The problem with this is that you have no control over where the asset goes. It could pass to someone who you would prefer not to receive it.

A better approach may be to change the direction of the gift using aa ‘post-death variation’.

UK tax laws allow post-death variations to be treated for tax purposes as though the changes to the inheritance had been put in place by the deceased, rather than the original beneficiary.

This gives a double advantage. You can avoid an adverse tax situation and choose where the inheritance goes.

But do be aware that there are specific conditions that apply to post-death variations. If these conditions are not met the tax advantages will be lost…

A variation must be in writing. This document is usually referred to as a Deed of Variation. This can be used to make post-death changes to a Will, or to re-direct a share of an estate.

A Deed of Variation must be completed within two years of the death to qualify for exemption under the inheritance tax (IHT) and capital gains tax rules. It must also contain a statement that the tax exemption rules are to apply.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Than you. Would the Deed of Variation need to be completed by a solicitor?

Yes, it will need to be witnessed in the presence of a solicitor.

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you that's a great help and hopefully I will be able to sort things out sooner rather than later.

Its a pleasure.

Good luck!

INC Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you