How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4735
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I have been living with my elderly Mum caring for her for

Customer Question

Hi, I have been living with my elderly Mum caring for her for past 4 years . She died a few days ago. She left a very small amount of money which will go on funeral expenses, and a property . Her will states it should be sold and divided between her 4 daughters . It will go through probate, and we are keen house use sold as soon as possible. However, one of my sisters now says she wants a key to the house and that she has as much right to stay as I do. She has a property. I have nowhere else to live at present . I need to know if I can refuse to give her a key. I have transferred the bills into my name . I hope you can help . Thanks
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Portsmouth
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that I am aware of
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

Does the will actually say the property is to be sold.?

Who is the executor of the will?

Expert:  james bruce replied 10 days ago.

Unfortunately, without the additional information requested in my first/previous response, I will not be able to give you detailed advice to your question, but I will be able to give you a general answer, which I hope will be of assistance. If you are able to supply the additional information later, please do so and I will then come back to you with a more detailed answer.

Following from what you have explained, the will clearly states that the property is to be sold and the proceeds divided equally between the 4 daughters.

That is therefore what must happen. This does not give them any right of access to the property or to remove any personal items of your late mother from the property. The will is clear, they receive a share of the proceeds.

The only person entitled to keys to the property is the executor named in the will.

They are responsible for dealing with the estate, sale of house and distribution of funds.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Please come back if I can assist further.
Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.