How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 8359
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My father built a house for me and one of the people he

Customer Question

Hi, My father built a house for me and one of the people he works with instructed a building control company to over see all the checks but put it in his name.
JA: Where is your father? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: He invoiced me for the building control payment and this was paid in full. he now wont instruct the company to do the final check unless i pay a large a mount of money. We are in the south east of england
JA: What steps has your father taken so far?
Customer: He has tried to talk to the company but because its not in his name they wont take instruction from him. He has tried to talk to the other builder but like i say unless a large amount of money is paid he refuses to instruct the company.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No i just want to know what to do thanks
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
happy to wait
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 15 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 15 days ago.

So the contract between the building control is between this other person and building control?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
they won’t talk to us as it’s in his name.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 15 days ago.

My suggestion would be you sue the person who contracted with building control on the basis that money was paid for building control and they are not completing on their duty to obtain building control consent. You should write to them and say they need to complete within 14 days or you will bring legal action for breach of contract.

. If you want to bring a legal case you should complete a claim form using form N1 here:

Once done send it to your nearest county court:

You will need to contact them and pay the issue fee.

If you want to find a solicitor to assist with this process and represent you at the hearing you can find a solicitor using the Law Society find a solicitor search option here: You can search by town or postcode to find one near you, as well as area of law in this case contract law.

I trust this assists

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 15 days ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** do as you have suggested.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.

Take care.