Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am a leaseholder in a freehold block owned by a local

Customer Question

Hello! I am a leaseholder in a freehold block owned by a local council. There are around 7/8 leaseholders who all wish to extend their leases, are not under 80 years and who meet the other requirements. Can we save money by all trying to extend our leases at the same time / using the same lawyers?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No nothing yet, I've just talked to the other leasholders who are interested. We know we can go down the voluntary and statutory process, but really we want to try and save as much money as possible as Southwork Council (our freehold) is notorious for charging a lot
JA: Where is the freehold located?
Customer: Camberwell, Southwark, London
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so - I think that's everything. Thank you
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

Expert:  MR J replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I will aim to assist you with your query. Your question seems to centre around the possibility of saving money by extending the leases in one go instead of separately

by using the same lawyer at the same time etc.

Expert:  MR J replied 9 days ago.

Generally speaking, the leases will be individual and so separate agreements will drafted.(Cannot see the council doing a blanked document to cover the whole building especially is the leases start dates are different also). Therefore the lawyer will require to draft separate documents for this and liaise with the council accordingly. Although you can try, i cannot see the Council no charging for each document.

Expert:  MR J replied 9 days ago.

Based on the information you have provided and in answer to your question, you could ask your solicitor if they could provide a reduced price (if all the leaseholders utilise the firm for their services). Otherwise likely that you will have to pay the solicitor as normal fees. Re the Council fees, you could ask them if they could provide a reduced rate although they may have a fixed fee for extending leases.(as they say 'dont ask, dont get'). Hope that assists. Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. Please ensure that you approach a local solicitor and take formal legal advice on your matter before agreeing to any charges or signing documents.