MarcInLaw
MarcInLaw,
Experience:  Expert
110941711

Our builder is not turning up to finish a half built

Our builder is not turning up to finish a half built extension. We have paid for all materials to finish job
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We have all txt messages and all bank transfer details to his account and a contract
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Birmingham B312SE
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The builder started in October but since February we've hardly seen him the property is unlivable as we have sold our house and are staying with one of our daughters

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.

Please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

I am sorry to hear about it. Have you signed any contract with the builder?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.

The call seems to be dropping. Please let me know when you are free to talk. I will call straight away.

The phone is now off?

It was good speaking with you just now. Consider sending the builder a letter before claim where you will set out all relevant facts and require certain action i.e. refund of your money as they failed to complete the works and breached the contract. Have a look at a free template here: Letter before small claims court claim - Which?

Generally, the letter will contain the following:

your name and address

the reason for your claim

a clear explanation of the facts

what you require the builder to do to put things right

how much you're claiming

a list of any documents you are referring to such as the underlying contract etc.

an invitation to use mediation to resolve this matter amicably

a date by when you want the builder to give you a full response i.e.14-21 days

a reminder that you will issue a claim in a small claims court if the builder doesn’t reply to / comply with the letter

If the letter does not work issue a claim in a small claim court. You can do it here: Make a court claim for money - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** possible this could be written up by yourself on headed paper as we feel that if the builder knows this is a letter received from us, he will not take this seriously, coming from a solicitor he is more likely to respond as anything we have previously said to him has not been enough for him to take action.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (TQS2363)

I can draft this for you (however I cannot sign as part of the site rules)but this would be part of premium service which is payable. I can make you an offer here if you want me to.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Good initial information to help in making decisions
Feel free to come back with anything else. I will help!