How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2362
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

Disrepair issues

Customer Question

Disrepair issues
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 19 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm what is your question?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Despite several attempts to get in contact with my landlord for the disrepair I have had no heating or hot water but over a year and a half now and space still won't do nothing about it I have also been paying service charges for the past year and a half in which the service has not been delivered in any form or shape I have a letterbox key which I was supposed to obtain from the landlord a year and a half ago in which case he has never provided me with 1 my bills have built up and debts have accumulated due to the fact that I cannot have access to my mailbox
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 16 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. You can complain about your landlord if they’re doing something wrong or you’re unhappy with their behaviour, for example if they aren’t doing repairs they’re responsible for. It’s best to speak to your landlord first to solve your problem. If this doesn’t help there are other steps you can take to complain. I would recommend the following steps in this matter:

1) make a formal complaint by writing a letter to your landlord.

Explain your problem and what you want them to do to solve it. Tell them what rights you have and what you think they should have done. You should include in your letter:

what you’re complaining about

what you want them to do about the problem

dates and times the problem took place

copies of any letters or emails between you and your landlord

photographs - for example showing damage or disrepair, particularly if the problem gets worse over time

receipts for things you've had to pay for because of the problem

2) If making a formal complaint to your landlord doesn't solve your problem you might be able to complain to your local council. You can find contact information for your local council here:

3) You can try to complain to the housing ombudsman service. For more information please visit the following site:

4)you can ask your landlord for compensation if they fail to carry out repairs within a reasonable time once you've reported them and if your home is unfit to live in because of poor conditions. If your landlord does not agree to compensation you can take court action. You can take legal action to claim compensation during your tenancy or after it ends. However, you must have reported the problem to your landlord during your tenancy. You have up to 6 years to claim (or 3 years for a personal injury claim). The time runs from when your landlord should have carried out the work. I would recommend that you contact the citizens advice bureau in your area to help you take this matter further they may be able to help you write a letter to your landlord asking for compensation. You can find a citizens advice bureau in your area by visiting this link:

As a last resort you will need to take legal action. I would advise you instruct a solicitor to represent you.

The solicitor will be able to weigh all the evidence before them and help you build a strong case. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here: You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you. You may qualify for legal aid if you have low income and want to take the case to court. You can check if you can get legal aid here: You can find a legal aid solicitor by using this link: Legal aid is free assistance to people who cannot afford to pay legal fees such as legal advice and proceedings. You could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) ( For more information please visit: CAB’s are accessible in different areas in the country providing free legal advice to individuals who cannot afford this. You can contact them by phone to book a face to face appointment. They may also be able to provide phone appointments. Moreover, you might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending/contacting a LawWorks Clinic. A probono lawyer is a free lawyer. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website:

You can also find other means of getting help with legal fees using this link: I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 16 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!