james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

UK PROBATE QUERY: I have a friend from church who is

UK PROBATE QUERY:
Hello, I have a friend from church who is partially sighted and is struggling to complete the probate process on her late husband's estate. Her husband died five years ago. I have offered to help her get the paperwork in order, as I have recently had to do this after my father died a number of years ago. I have made it clear that I can only provide admin help, but was wondering what I need to do or think about to safeguard both of us if I do help her?

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

If your friend is the executor of the will, then they will be liable if they act as executor to ensure that probate is completed correctly. They can be held liable if they make false declarations to the probate office or HMRC for any tax purposes.

So care needs to be taken to ensure all paperwork and future are correct and accurate.

If you help them, do not sign anything yourself. That will avoid liability on your part.

It may be worth your frozen considering instructing a probate solicitor to do the work for them if they are struggling and have any concerns.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.