INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I was a leaseholder in a five flat block and then four of us

Customer Question

I was a leaseholder in a five flat block and then four of us took over the freehold using a local solicitors firm. The fifth flat didn't respond to us so we had no choice than to proceed without them. Since then (three years ago) the leaseholder has refused to pay anything towards the cost of the building, including ground rent, citing that they were never served a notice informing them of the change of landlord. I have enquired with our solicitors to check that they served the notice and where they served it to but up until now they have been fobbing me off. My question is, if the solicitors didn't do their job like they should have done (and I know they made other mistakes...for example they left off a freeholder when they were dividing up the shares...though I rectified that) what can I do? Is there any way to claim the loss of money from the leaseholder now? And do I serve a new notice?
Expert:  INC Law replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for your query.  I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

You should file a formal complaint with the solicitor.  If you do not get a satisfactory response, you willnhave to escalate the complaint to the legal Ombudsman.

If you have suffered losses as a result of the negligence of the Solicitors, you should be able to claim for this.

I hope this answers your question.  If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Expert:  INC Law replied 15 days ago.