How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 15909
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

I was a leaseholder in a five flat block and then four of us

Customer Question

I was a leaseholder in a five flat block and then four of us took over the freehold using a local solicitors firm. The fifth flat didn't respond to us so we had no choice than to proceed without them. Since then (three years ago) the leaseholder has refused to pay anything towards the cost of the building, including ground rent, citing that they were never served a notice informing them of the change of landlord. I have enquired with our solicitors to check that they served the notice and where they served it to but up until now they have been fobbing me off. My question is, if the solicitors didn't do their job like they should have done (and I know they made other mistakes...for example they left off a freeholder when they were dividing up the shares...though I rectified that) what can I do? Is there any way to claim the loss of money from the leaseholder now? And do I serve a new notice?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  INC Law replied 15 days ago.


Thank you for your query.  I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

You should file a formal complaint with the solicitor.  If you do not get a satisfactory response, you willnhave to escalate the complaint to the legal Ombudsman.

If you have suffered losses as a result of the negligence of the Solicitors, you should be able to claim for this.

I hope this answers your question.  If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

Expert:  INC Law replied 15 days ago.