SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

My brother-in-law has somebody living with him who is

Customer Question

my brother-in-law has somebody living with him who is refusing to pay any rent he has a room and a seperate bathroom and pays 70£ a week which includes all gas and electric he is saying the kitchen is not clean so says he is not giving him any rent, my brother-in-law is in remission from cancer and also has a tumour in bowel and he is terrified of the person because he is over 6 foot and big what can i do to help him
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: St.Budeaux Plymouth
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we have asked him for the rent but he has refused I tried to talk to him but he just put the phone down I am worried for my brother-in-laws safety
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing I can think off
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 6 days ago.
I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.It sounds as though this person will be defined as a lodger. If he fails to pay rent he can be given a notice to quit. The notice period will probably be 4 weeks.If he doesn't pay you can come afte rhim for arrears with a money claim and if he refuses to leave a court order can be obtained to force removal.With regards ***** ***** you or your brother in law can contact the police and if anything happens the police can implement bail conditions to stop him returning to the property.Kind regards
S
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thankyou I will give him 4 weeks notice hopefully he will comply
I do hope so. Best of luck,
S