james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Can my neighbour cut off my tv cable

Customer Question

Can my neighbour cut off my tv cable
Expert:  james bruce replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

Where is the cable ?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi there yes,
I only moved in a couple of months ago. The previous owners had sky and this required the cables to go on the outer wall.
This a back to back house but the neighbour is not the one I’m attached to.
It’s a house that’s next to me but not attached.
I had a bundle of photos in my letterbox about 2 weeks ago which showed the previous occupiers sky wires on the wall (the wall is the actual side of my house) I didn’t take any notice with a threat to get them removed as I asked advice on here, and was told to just ignore them.
I’m not concerned about the sky wires, but they have cut off the tv Ariel wire which has been there for years. My husband has PD and I can’t imagine why someone would do this. Especially as it’s on our house?

Thank you for that additional information, that will be helpfull in allowing me to advise you today.

If the wire is on the side of your own property, then no, no-one can cut off your cable wires. To do so is criminal damage. That can be reported to the police.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The dark brick is my house the white wall according to the neighbour is hers? We haven’t put any wires anywhere these were already in situ? I don’t want a neighbour dispute just want to be left alone
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (S6ZPZ7P)

Looking at the photos the wire appears to be completely attached to your brickwork and not on the white, so they have no excuse to even touch your cable.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
If I report this to the police will I be faced with what is classed as a neighbour dispute?

Yes, that would be classed as neighbour dispute if you were to sell the property.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Would it be the same if I sent a solicitor letter?

Yes, it is still a dispute between two neighbours.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello there again, could I ask in your opinion which is the best action to take? I would like the Ariel reinstalled. Should I send them a solicitors letter? Or just ignore what they have done and get the works done myself?
Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

As the cable was on your wall, you could send a solicitors letter advising of the “criminal damage “ caused by them, and seek payment form them to reinstall the cable. You could advice that you will not seek further legal action against them if they agree.

Alternatively, you could simply go ahead and do it yourself.

The former option would be seen as a neighbour dispute.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Before I decide what road to take do you think I should telephone the neighbour to ask if she is going to put it right? And then if the answer is no report it to the police or send letter?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
This is a copy of the note posted through my letterbox a few weeks ago. The solicitor I spoke to then told me to ignore it, and if the neighbour did anything to get back to him, but I have lost the thread with that chat
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Would you advise that I phone the neighbour and ask if they can have my Ariel reinstalled to see what response I get? Before I send a letter or contact the police? Did you read the note the neighbour sent me ?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Is the expert still on line?

As previously advised, from your photos,myhe cable does appear to be on your property so she should have no reason to touch it.

The choice is yours whether to speak to her first to sound her out . Or you can send the letter and speak to the police. Only you can make that choice.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Just to let you know I did phone her and she admitted cutting the wires and said I had enough warnings.
She also said that the wires are on my wall but my wall is on her property? Also started telling me how horrible I am and I’ve never even met the women!!!

Understood, then looks like you need to take legal action as advised earlier.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Should I just contact any solicitor ? And are you saying as well as that to inform the police as well?

You should look for a  civil litigation firm.

The law society site can help you find a local one.

It may be helpful to instruct a local solicitor who specialises in this area of law. You can find a local firm using the Law Society website. www.lawsociety.org.uk

Once on that website, you can click on the find a solicitor option located just above the Law Society logo. Select quick search, then select the area of law required and enter your post code. A list of local firms will then be displayed.

If you want to complain of the damage to the police that can also be done.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
That’s great thank you for all your assistance here goes x

Your welcome, good luck.