james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My neighbours play loud live music in the garden, with

My neighbours play loud live music in the garden, with repeated drumming, just on the other side of the fence from where I sit and work. I am a writer. This happens whenever the weather is nice. I have asked them to practice inside but they refuse. I am unable to enjoy the garden.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have dropped in notes and emailed them twice but they take no notice. I have filled in a form for the council. They are musicians and I am very tolerant ss I can here drumming through the walls and an opera singer regularly practising very annoying scales and I don’t complain about that. I have even said I don’t mind the occasional soiree in the garden if they let me know but it’s the constant practice drumming feet from where I sit. On Saturday there were 6 musicians. I am alone in my 70s and a writer. I work quietly in my garden. They just ignore my requests
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: In a very quite residential street of owner occupied terraced houses
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That this has been made worse by lockdown because my garden has become a sanctuary for me as I have been locked down alone. I feel as a writer I have the right to work peacefully in my garden. Although I can hear when they practice indoors, I don’t complain about that.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Very sorry to hear of what is happening.

Unfortunately, just like you would like to sit in your garden and write, which of course you are fully entitled to do, they to, have a write to be in their garden and do as they wish.

As long as the hours are during the day and not early in the morning or late at night then legally they are doing no wrong.

They are allowed to use the property as they are.

The council are very unlikely to get involved as no law is being broken.
As you have dropped notes to them that appear to have had little affect, youmcould have a legal letter sent to them explaining how you feel, and to see if you can reach an agreement on the days or times they do this. That may hopefully be a compromise.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
they are allowed to play loud live music and drum for three hours? My writing affects no one

I fully understand how you must feel. Very inconsiderate on there part, but, in their own property during the day, they are breaking no laws.

As silly as it sounds, you could consider eating plugs, or even better a good quality pair of headphones. Bose made a superb pair, cordless noise reducing, they really do cut our all sounds.

Not the best solution, but something to consider.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
why does this say different: https://www.masenv.co.uk/music-noise-guidance

What the link says is correct, but you do not say how often and for how long they are practising. If they are following those rules, they are allowed to do what they do.

If however, they are doing this more than as stated in your link,mathematician that is something yo put can complain about to the councils environmental health department.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
For 3 hours at a stretch when the weather is good 3 feet away from where I sit saturday there were 6 musicians

Then in that case, what they are doing is completely unacceptable.

Options open to you include official complain to the council and the environment  health dept.

Or sending them a “cease and desist letter” That letter will set out clearly the nuisance they are causing and in fact the law they are breaking based on the times and frequencies they practice. Send a copy of that link in the letter.
The letter demands that they stop what they are doing and comply with the law, or face legal action against they.

Then if legal action is required the council can do that.

Keep a diary of times and dates, and a recording if you can.

The cease and desist letter could be drafted by a local solicitor, or it is something you can do yourself. If the latter, and despite them being neighbours, I would advice sending the letter recorded delivery as proof of postage and receipt .

To assist you if you do wish to do this letter yourself. I have attached a temple you could use.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.

Your very welcome, good luck, I hope it works out well for you.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.