How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 23699
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I have built a wooden cabin in the yard of a commercial

Customer Question

i have built a wooden cabin in the yard of a commercial property i rent. i want to sub let it which is fine with my landlord but how do i go about insuring this?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the cabin located?
Customer: Chester UK
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Only that I want to sublet it for commercial use
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

What do you do in the premises work wise?

and what is the set up in this cabin - ultilities etc?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi, It's a salon with a large garden at the rear. I have built a large cabin around 40' x 12' out of timber. It has a electric feed to a consumer box supplying sockets and lights. It has a log burner in but doesn't yet have water to it or a WC. It is possible to put these in I'm just debating whether I should do that at the moment. I'm just not sure if it's possible to insure a building I've built on rented property? Or what address it takes on etc
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

I would probably be more concerned with planning permission to be honest because unless you actually have planning permission you may find that CWAC take exception to this.

However assuming that’s not an issue you  either get the tenant to pay for the insurance as part of the rent or get the tenant to do the insurance and provide you with a copy of the policy, the schedule, and the premium receipt.

There is no legal reason why you cannot ensure your building when you rent the land.  It happens all the time with leasehold properties.

I’m not certain what the problem is because I can’t see one although that might be your question.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards