How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo W Your Own Question
Jo W
Jo W, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 85
Experience:  Expert in property law including landlord and tenant
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jo W is online now

My land lord has increased my rent by £125.00 per month

Customer Question

My land lord has increased my rent by £125.00 per month after being a tenant for 22 years I am not entitled to help as I work full time thankyou
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No not yet wanted to know if I have ground to contest increase of that figure planning a call to my landlord
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Middleton M24 1LW
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Is this free advice, and when I moved in it had no kitchen I have paid for and fitted 2 kitchens the last one 2years ago
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Jo W replied 11 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a solicitor here to help you with your question. I will respond as soon as practicable which will be some time today.

Expert:  Jo W replied 11 days ago.

Hello.  I appreciate that's a significant and unexpected increase.

There are things you can do.

1. Have you checked your tenancy agreement, whether there are any rent review provisions to say what he can do to raise the rent.  To be honest, I wouldn't expect there to be, so will assume not, if there are provisions then these must be followed.

2. How much notice have you been given.  A landlord is required to give the tenant sufficient notice before a rent increase is to take effect. For a monthly, weekly or fortnightly tenancy one month's notice of the intended increase is required. For a yearly tenancy, a period of six months' notice is required.  You are probably on a rolling assured tenancy, in which case it would be reasonable to ask for 6 months notice.

3. Has it been done properly by the landlord or did he just tell/write.  They should be sending what is known as a Section 13 Notice which  is a way for landlords to increase the rent they charge for a property. It refers to Section 13 of the Housing Act (1988). Landlords can only use Section 13 for assured periodic tenancies. ... The rent increase being proposed by the landlord must be fair and realistic.

4. The CAB has set out some really good advice about challenging a rent increase, see,want%20to%20increase%20your%20rent.

5. You can also try to find out what a fair rent for your property should be  - at the Valuation agency

6. I realise that you have done work to the property but as you were not "forced to" (or the landlord should have maintained the property), this is useful to use in negotiations with him/her as a bargaining tool but probably not for much else as you choose to do the works at your cost.

I trust that these answers help with your questions. Happy to clarify any of it.