How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2663
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

The tenant that announced is not leaving who's email I have

This answer was rated:

Hello, the tenant that announced is not leaving who's email I have sent you before, is standing many nights in front of our main door of a house with 8 flats in total, dressed as woman, with some fake plastic breasts strapped on. We fear he is offering sexual services and using the flat for clients. What can we do here? His actions are difficult to observe, very wierd to have this person standing like this in front of our house, making it look like a brothel. What are our rights to collect evidence? Any thoughts?

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Hi there,

If the tenant is using the rented accommodation for anti-social activities, then Landlord would have to 4 weeks notice to the tenant for leaving.

In the UK, the exchange of sexual services for money is legal, but a number of activities, including soliciting in a public place, owning or managing a brothel, pimping and pandering, are considered to be crimes, under the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

Your tenant can get in trouble if he is caught soliciting for sex in a public .

I would not suggest you to collect evidence yourself, rather to report it to the police, so that they can ask him to stop such activities.

I hope this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ok, can we install cameras in the communal areas to see who is in and out?

Yes, you can install cameras in the communal areas, however, you would have to notify the tenant that you are installing the CCTV camera, for the communal areas only.

if the cameras are directly pointed towards the tenant's property , then it is privacy issue.

the Law regarding it is covered by the Human Rights Act under the rights to privacy. Article 8 of the Act entitled “The Right to Respect for Private and Family Life, Home and Correspondence”

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
if the management of the house decides to install the cameras facing the main door only the tenants can not object in any way, correct?

Yes, as long the camera is capturing images of the outside /communal areas .

You should have to notify the tenant first before installing the CCTV.

Vineet S and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you