Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I recently moved out of my rental property after 6 years. I

Customer Question

Good afternoon. I recently moved out of my rental property after 6 years. I am in a mini dispute with my landlord about 4 dining chairs (all of which broke during the last year of my tenancy) and what should be deducted from the deposit for those. The chairs were purchased in 2004 for 600 pounds each. I moved into the flat in 2014 and moved out two weeks ago. In my view these chairs are worth little to nothing after 16+ years and potentially were even worth close to nothing when I moved in 2014 at which point they were 10 years old and had been used everyday. I offered 150 pounds for the 4 chairs. She is asking for a lot more. Is there a procedure for this kind of dispute?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: London
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that's it
Expert:  Vineet S replied 11 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 11 days ago.

Hi there,

Have you raised with the administrator of your tenancy deposit scheme?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Not yet
Expert:  Vineet S replied 11 days ago.

You should raise the issue with the Administrator of the tenancy scheme.

A certain amount of wear and tear is unavoidable in rental properties. Over time as tenants live in homes, some damage will occur. This isn’t a result of abuse or neglect by the tenants, meaning tenants can’t be held responsible for it.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 11 days ago.

Normal wear and tear refers to gradual damage that you would expect to see in a property over time.

Only if the damage has been caused by tenant abuse or neglect rather than simple wear and tear, then Landlord can ask the tenant to pay for the damage.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok thanks for your time
Expert:  Vineet S replied 11 days ago.

So, refuse to pay for the new chairs, if Landlord tries to deduct it from the deposit, then raise it with your deposit scheme administrator

Expert:  Vineet S replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.