How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 15909
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

We rent a property from a private landlord. In February this

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: We rent a property from a private landlord. In February this year the landlord arranged for a central hearting plumber to fit a new Baxi boiler. We had all kinds of problems afterwards. Eventually Baxi sent one of their people around to check the new boiler. The boiler was fine, however, the plumber hadn’t fitted it correctly and safely, resulting in 2 gas leaks. THe Baxi guy capped the gas off and did a RIDOR on it. We are wondering if we can claim against this unscrupulous plumber for endangerment and months of stress we went through, after it had been fitted?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No. Our landlord however is claiming against him for her loss of money etc incurred through having to get a new plumber to sort the remedial work out.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: It is in West Derby Liverpool 12 area. I had to take time off work to accommodate the Baxi guy coming out from the manufacturers check plus other times when this cowboy plumber was in and out over the months..
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes.. Our landlord isn’t a very nice person to be honest. As she is trying to sue him, if she finds out we are claiming, she may not be too happy, and we don’t want to lose our tenancy, we are happy here and have been for 10 years this year.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  INC Law replied 16 days ago.


Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

Your claim would be against your landlord and not against the Plumber.  The landlord in turn would have a claim against the Plumber.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Many thanks,