james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

A neighbour had put in a fence on the border between our two

Customer Question

A neighbour had put in a fence on the border between our two properties - this was done before we moved in. But looking at our deeds, we are responsible for that boundary wall. What is our legal position in relation to that fence now?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No I am after advice as our neighbour is starting to make a nuisance and the border has been mentioned a number of times - I haven’t mentioned that the border is ours as not sure they are aware - as I don’t think they would have installed the fence had they known it was their neighbours responsible
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: hampshire
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no nothing else at the moment
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

To start with, you need to check both both property title deeds to see exactly who is responsible for the boundary fence.

Then, if that is you, there is still nothing to stop the neighbour putting up their own boundary fence slightly inside on their own property.

if the fence has been put up on your land, they are not allowed to do that, but it still would be there fence. You cannot take it down without a court order.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi thanks for the info -
Looking at the picture of the deed, I can see the boundary’s on all the properties in the close. And I can see that the 3 boundaries are ours and the 4th belongs to another neighbour. They have built the fence in the garden ON the boundary, the fence out the front of the property is on their property as it’s a little inside the boundary on their side.
Thanks for the guidance.

Your very welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.