Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

The united nations after 3 months of an online love romance

Customer Question

The united nations after 3 months of an online love romance with a doctor have emailed me requesting to process a marriage certificate that will cost me $1,800.00 dollars for us both
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No because I have been sending him money in yemen but only received a couple of video calls
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No I havnt I have had the fraud department here saying that this doctor david roland is fake and I've been scammed after discussing this with him hes come clean to say he's half Turkish and half Gambia but all information matches I even got him.to send photos touching his face but he keeps saying because he's in war zone he's not allowed video calling
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes his id card looks true with correct address
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

What site did you meet him on? Please provide all the contact information you have for him such as email, telephone or any other social media account information

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with the following general response, which will hopefully still answer your query. The facts indicate that this is very likely to be a ‘romance scam’. The widespread use of online dating and socialising has offered numerous opportunities for fraudsters to take advantage of. As it is not possible to determine if someone is who they say they are unless you meet them in person, there will always be a degree of speculation involved. That is especially the case considering real peoples’ identities can be stolen and someone can pretend that they are a real and genuine person.

That is why it is generally pointless trying to trace the person you are supposedly talking to as there could be someone completely different behind that identity. Instead, the best approach is to look at suspicious behaviour and requests made by that person and identifying certain 'red flags'. The following are the most common ones:

- You have met this person online, usually through a dating or social networking website, or instant messaging.

- They will usually be located in a different country to you – they could either be open and say they are from there, or they could claim that they are there on business

- They will start a long-distance relationship with you. They may take time to gain your trust, although often the relationship progresses unnaturally fast.

- They may use photos of another person and claim it is them, although these can easily be obtained by accessing someone’s social media profile, so there is no guarantee that this is the person you have been talking to. You can try and reverse search images to see if they have previously been used elsewhere: https://www.tineye.com/

- The most important red flag is that they eventually ask for money for various reasons. There are dozens of variations, with the most common ones being for travel expenses to meet you, for help with financial difficulties they are suddenly facing, for expenses relating to you receiving a package from them, etc.

- Once the money has been sent, the fraudster either stops all contact and runs away with your money, or they return and ask for more for different, often unexpected, reasons

In summary, if you have met someone online, never met them in person and commence a relationship, only for them to start asking you for money, you basically know it is a scam. The key now is to not proceed any further with this. Cease all communications with them and certainly do not send money if asked to, no matter what they say.

Also do not send anything to the supposed United Nations (by the way they are clearly not the UN).

In order to report this, you should contact Action Fraud (The National Fraud and Cyber Crime Reporting Centre), by calling 0300(###) ###-####or online: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/reporting-fraud-and-cyber-crime

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.