How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2799
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

Our current rental property is not being managed with any

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Our current rental property is not being managed with any number of issues, primarily based on that fact that 3 rooms are not useable, for a variety of reason and the landlord/agent are not acknowledging this via a rent reduction.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We have sent them various emails outlining the issues, they have visited us and carried out an inspection, however the works to resolve the problems are far too costly and thus we are stuck in a no win situation. We are paying nearly 2k a month
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: horley
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: thats it tbh
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 5 days ago.


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

Please confirm the property is based in England or Wales?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
in england
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 5 days ago.


Thanks for your patience and further information.

The landlord and tenant act imposes a repairing obligation on the landlord. Further it is likely your tenancy agreement imposes the same too.

When such obligations are not fulfilled a rent deduction claim arises given you have been residing in a property with defects whilst paying full rent.

In light of the law it appears the landlord has breached the law and tenancy agreement. Therefore I recommend you file a complaint with the local council as they have a team that deal with such matters. Further the council can be forced to fix the issues. In addition I suggest you consider a rent deduction claim.

The rent of the property is used as a basis to calculate the compensation. You will be awarded a percentage of your rent that you paid while you resided in the house.The actual percentage that you will be awarded depends on the severity of the disrepair. A completely uninhabitable property will result in 100% compensation, however, this is extremely rare. Normally, compensation ranges between 25% to 50% of the rent of the property.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 5 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe