Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

What are the rules to sell a house when in a disagreement

What are the rules to sell a house when in a disagreement about the selling price? Are both co=owners required to share the house valuatioNS obtained by local agencies?

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Can you tell me who is disagreeing and you say co-owners - joint or tenants in common as well?

and what is the sticking point?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Joint co-owners. Disagreement about the price of the house, the price she told me is not genuine. She is asking for325k but the agency said 290k Max of 300k.

If you can’t agree on the sale price, the matter will end up before the court and the court will set the price based upon the evidence that you both put forward.

However I can tell you now that the joint share of what you are arguing over, GBP12,500 each, is going to pale into insignificance compared to the potential GBP20,000 court fees that this is likely to cost.

Whether the price is genuine or not would depend on whether you get a buyer and whether you get a buyer quickly or whether the property is on the market for months because of its on the market for months, then obviously the price is too high.  Simple commercial logic.

There is absolutely no reason for anybody with any valuations to be secretive because if they are being secretive and refusing to disclose them, then you can bet that whatever information they have is unfavourable and does not support their point of view.

The most common reason for such an inflated high price is if they don’t want the property sold for whatever reason or you are looking at buying her out and she wants to fleece you.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your time. It really explains what I was thinking.