Lawry
Lawry, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109896623

We have a shorthold tenancy for a year and after 4 months we

Customer Question

We have a shorthold tenancy for a year and after 4 months we were told the landlord wanted to sell the house, and then gave us formal 6 months notice. Extremely upsetting as it happened to us with the previous house and we'd said this was meant to be a long term home. Now with still 5 months left to go, the agent wants to arrange viewings and 'team visits'. What are our rights? Can we refuse?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We have our tenancy agreement
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Esher, Surrey
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Lawry replied 15 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

I am sorry you are having problems with your landlord/agents.

Ultimately, you have a right to refuse entry as the property is rented to you and the landlord/agent owes you a covenant of quiet enjoyment.

This means you cannot be hassled by the landlord whenever they require access.

The landlord should also provide notice of an intended visit usually 24 hours unless it is an emergency.

The bot***** *****ne is you should try and negotiate with them to reach a mutually convenient arrangement so they can have access when it is convenient to you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi, thanks for the reply. My understanding was that apart from repair visits they aren't allowed to do viewings until the last two months of the tenancy. isn't that right? There will be no mutually convenient time for us before then. The rent is very very high and we have been totally used so there is no goodwill. I want to know what I absolutely have to legally do.
Expert:  Lawry replied 15 days ago.

Check the tenancy agreement to see if it says anything about viewings otherwise you can refuse entry.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok, it's the standard shorthold tenancy agreement, are you familiar with that?
Expert:  Lawry replied 15 days ago.

Basically, but there may be a specific clause in it about viewings.

In any event you can refuse entry.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thankyou, that's what I wanted to know. So I do have a legal right to refuse entry up until the last 2 months of the tenancy?
Expert:  Lawry replied 15 days ago.

Yes.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
But not during the last two months if viewings are allowed in the agreement? thanks so much for your help..
Expert:  Lawry replied 15 days ago.

Yes.

You are welcome.

Best of luck!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry, I wasn't clear, can we refuse in the last 2 months? Or are we legally obliged to allow viewings if its in the contract. Tenants seem to have more rights now, and we have my elderly mum staying with us, so looking for any ways round those 2 months!
Expert:  Lawry replied 15 days ago.

Although, technically you can refuse outright you should allow the landlord the opportunity to show new prospective tenants around and be reasonable about it.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks the issue is that having gone through the huge expense of moving a large family and wanting a long term let, 4 months in, the landlord decided to sell. So now having to waste several months looking for a new home and incurring the significant cost of moving again, I don't feel like being reasonable. Hence why I wanted to check my legal position over those last two months. He wanted to show people around straight away !!!!