How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 23745
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

My next door neighbour has run a live electrical cable

This answer was rated:

Hello, my next door neighbour has run a live electrical cable through my hedge on my property, (they have no access to their own back garden).
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Can I take them to court for trespass for entering my garden, and intent to endanger my life, as not knowing it was there I could has so easily have cut through it with my hedge cutter ? (we are not on speaking terms, and they have threatened me in the past)
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: I have so far not taken any action apart from informing my local police, you have done nothing, so yesterday I contacted my local MP who suggested I make a complaint against the police.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I live in Princes Risborough Buckinghamshire, I am a disabled pensioner, and have put up with harassment for over four years now.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

I am sorry to hear this - can I ask what the electric cable is for?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello again, sorry for my delay in answering, (technical problems my side).
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The cable is to power lights into a very large shed and several power tools, air con, etc.

You can of course take them to court for trespass because they have no entitlement to do this.  However intent to endanger life is a nonstarter because they did not intend to do that.  There is no claim for could have been killed or could have been injured.

The police will not be interested because this is not a police matter.  I don’t know where your local MPs getting his ideas from but I cannot see that you have a complaint against the police.  Don’t get me wrong, I have no faith in the police because they have a standard reply to get rid of things “this is a civil matter” but I’m sorry to say, that on this occasion, they are correct.  But that’s only with regard to the cable…………….

The harassment on the other hand is a different matter.

Harassment is defined as a course of action (more than once) which is intended to harass, does harass, is reckless as to whether it harasses, or if the average bystander would look at the conduct and think that it was indeed harassment.

Harassment is both a civil matter and a criminal matter.

If a person is being harassed, they can go to the police and ask them to warn the alleged culprit under the Protection from Harassment Act.  Some police forces take harassment very seriously and others not so and therefore, the person who is being allegedly harassed may need to speak to a senior officer or put a complaint in writing to the Chief Constable.

You can of course apply to the County Court for a civil injunction to prevent them talking to you but as the police are infinitely capable of dealing with this at no cost to you and it’s something which they should deal with.

So in that respect, if they won’t deal with it after you made a complaint, then the MP is correct, make a complaint in writing to the Chief Constable.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards

Stuart J and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you