MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

Do I need planning permission for a porch In Wales. It would

Do I need planning permission for a porch In Wales. It would be next to a street but the door will not open on to the road.

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Building a porch onto your property is considered to be permitted development and therefore does not require planning permission, provided, that the ground floor area would not exceed three square metres.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Excellent and there are no other restrictions other than ground floor only and no more than 3sqm

Glad to be off assistance, the other considerations are the porch would not be more than three metres above ground level (this would be rare in practice as this would be more of a double story extension) and the porch would not be within two metres of any boundary of your property.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
There is only three metres between my front door and the street. So based on that we would need planning correct?

Yes it is likely that you will need planning as the porch will extend over one metre and thefore there will be less than two metres between the boundary and the porch.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I had a bad feeling that would be the case. Thank you for your assistance.

Glad to be off assistance, sorry it is not better news, if anything remains unclear I will be happy to assist you further.