How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 29202
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

Let me call my daughter she can write faster.. this is

Customer Question

Hi, let me call my daughter she can write faster..
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Hi, this is dafne. No we haven't spoken to a lawyer at all yet and we live in the uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: so far we have just written a letter to the housing cooperation in question that said my boyfriend would not qualify for succession of his late father's flat
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: there were a lot of circumstances between his family who had power of attorney of his then ill-father and the covid19 restrictions that meant he couldn't be in the flat for the majority of the 12-month period before his father's death despite that address still being his registered house, which was why they initially rejected the succession it's a little complicated so i appreciate all your help, thank you
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and I imagine how frustrating it must be. I will certainly try to clarify the position for you.

from what you describe, I understand that you have an issue or possibly a dispute with the housing association in relation to succession rights to your daughters boyfriends late father's flat. is that correct please?

Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms a housing association tenancy contains more limited succession rights than a council tenancy. I would need  further information moulded to be specific but generally, a spouse is entitled to succeed to a housing association tenancy but other parties such as children would typically not have an automatic right of succession but rather succession would be determined by the terms of the tenancy agreement which will often be drafted to require the consent of the housing association to any potential succession.

Obtaining a copy of the tenancy agreement in this regard is likely to be important

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me