How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2820
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I live in old terraced house in Northampton. My next door

Customer Question

I live in old terraced house in Northampton. My next door neighbour has two massive trees in her back garden. These badly block out the sun from my garden. But even worse they have done serious damage to the low wall that divides our two gardens and thus will only get worse. I have asked her to chop it back or preferably down completely but she has ignored this polite request.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No l just put a letter through her letter box but she has ignored it. The house is rented out and l have not seen the owner for a few years
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No you are the first person I cannot understand from the deeds who the wall belongs to
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing more I can think of
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 15 days ago.


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

Please confirm whether you are based in England or Wales?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What? I have no intention of using this as a chat service. I have just paid you £5 for legal advice. If you not capabl5of providing legal advice please refund my £5
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
If you are not capable of providing legal advice today please refund my £5
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Could you please refund my £5 immediately as your reply to my question has left me with no confidence in your ability. Not sure why you think anyone would use this as a chat line
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am a resident in England. I am sorry to hear you don't know where Northampton is
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 15 days ago.


Thanks for the replies.

I asked the question because my knowledge of the law surrounding your query is solely based on matters within England or Wales. Therefore if you are based elsewhere then this is something I cannot assit you with.


Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 14 days ago.

Based on the information provided and my assumption you reside in England, it appears you may have a potential nuisance and property damage cause of action. This is because the trees are interrupting the peaceful enjoyment of the property and importantly damaging your property.

Therefore I suggest you consider instructing a tree surgeon to inspect the costs to consider what measures can be taken to ensure the nuisance and damage does not occur in future. Further you should seek to obtain quotes to repair or replace the damage caused to your property.

Once you have the information I suggest you write to the neighbour and pass the information to them.

Assuming payment for the damage or abating the nuisance is not forthcoming I suggest you consider instructing a local solicitor to assist you with bringing court action.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 9 days ago.

Your welcome

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 9 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe