How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4812
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

We have a tenancy agreement signed by 4 people. 3 of us have

This answer was rated:

Hello, We have a tenancy agreement signed by 4 people. 3 of us have issues with the 4th person who brought another person in the house we rented and is living here for almost 2 months. The new person is not on the contract and not paying utilities. The acency we re working with said that we shold solve the problem between ourselves. We would like to break the agreement and still have a goos reference as we paid every month on time. I feel like we re being played as I don t understant how somebody can illegally stay in the house we pay for
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Birmingham
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have the building administrator as witness that the person is living here for some time

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Sorry to Hear what is happening.

It is not a case sorry to say that you can simply break your agreement. It is as you have been told  matter for you to resolve with nth tenant causing the problem.

You can ask the landlord to look into removing the person as that particular tenant may be in breach of the agreement.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I see... We already spoke with the landlord and the answer was to solve the problem personally. We are living here for 7 months and we have break clause of 6 with 1 month notice

Then if you cannot resolve the matter between you, then yo may have to use the option and bring the tenancy to an end by serving the notice period as per your tenancy agreement.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your help

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

james bruce and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you