Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My neighbour has been creating a noise nuisance for over 3

My neighbour has been creating a noise nuisance for over 3 years, which I have reported to the local council, to no avail. When I explain the impact, the noise is having on me, it only escalates into more noise. My neighbour is now using a frequency sound, which is causing me sleep deprivation, distress and impacting my health severely. I will like to know what steps to take next?

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and I imagine what a difficult position it must be. I will certainly try to clarify your options.

1. may I clarify, from what you describe, do you allege that the neighbour is undertaking a concerted campaign against you deliberately or is this noise incidental to some activity they are carrying out not specifically designed to harass you please?
  2. what precisely do you refer to when you refer to "frequency sound"?
  3. has the council provided you with noise measuring equipment as any part of your statutory nuisance complaint?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Joshua,Thank you for your response.
I have answered the questions below.1: Yes, I believe it is deliberate and set to harass me. It started once I highlighted the issue with the noise. Over the years the same pattern emerges, I highlight an issue and it escalates. The neighbour will make statement such as door slamming is allowed between 7am and 7pm as she has confirmed it with the council.I asked the neighbour if any new devices had been installed, the response was no. Then I was informed that sensory lights and a bubble machine had been installed and although she states that she has to turn it off as it affects her, she also states she has had it for a year and it will not be the cause of any noise nuisance I am experiencing.After the discussion, it stopped and then started in the early hours of the morning.
It intensifies during the night. One evening it increased again and when I knocked to find out what was going on, she informed me that she had just come in and only switched on the TV.When I am sitting in the garden peacefully, she comes out and the sound starts again.2. It is a sound like an infrasonic sound, which gets louder intermittently. Similar to a deterrent device. It vibrates through my body and my ears are sore. In addition, it makes me feel ill. I now have to wear ear plugs, which are not that helpful and I feel quite distressed in my home.3. I have been dismissed by the council. The council official told me that I should see my GP as it sounds like I have tinnitus. I was shocked at that response. I was also told by the council official, that it will take a year to investigate and it is not a priority and that the council is not a blue light service.When I informed the council official that I had recordings. I was told they cannot use my recordings and no further action has been taken. I reported to 101 and I was referred back to the council. I believe an infrasonic device is being used to torment me in my home.Thanks
  1. Thank you. I am sorry to read of the above. Do you have any evidence of the sounds?
  2. Have you considered hiring a noise measuring device?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thank you.
yes, I have recordings over the last 3 weeks to date, when it started.
I also installed an infrasonic app on my phone, which reads the frequency, I am not sure if it will be sufficient

Thank you. You may wish to consider hiring some specialist noise measuring equipment which is necessary to bring a nuisance action. "hire noise nuisance recorder" or similar will reveal many companies offering this service.

You can use this equipment to record evidence of the nuisance you complain of which will be admissible in court.

If the council are unwilling to assist you can contemplate your own application for injunctive relief subject to having sufficient evidence as above by using the following form:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n16a-application-for-injunction-general-form

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thank you very much. Regards

I'm glad the above answers all your questions. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me otherwise thank you very much for visiting JustAnswer and I hope we will see you again in the future.