How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 23699
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

My mother inherited 50% of a house and when she died 5 years

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My mother inherited 50% of a house and when she died 5 years ago left it to my father, but we did not do a transfer. now my father has died and left the house share to me, so I need to know how to transfer the part ownership. Thank yoi
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: not as yet
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: it is in Mountain Ash in south Wales
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The other 50% is owned by my uncle, who will be keen to get this sorted and I am the sole beneficiary of my father

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Can I ask for some more information -

who is lving in property at moment?

and what is your intention with the property?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
the property has a tenant at the moment who will remain, but my uncle and I are considering the possibility of selling the house once I have sorted the transfer
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
If you can give me some basic advise first I would prefer that and then I would be prepared to call you with my husband on speaker phone = thank you

If property is involved you are going to need grant of probate in respect of the estate of each person involved.  That would mean in respect of your mother leaving the property to your father and then your father leaving it to you.

There are 2 “types of probate”.

There is Grant of Probate which the executors need to deal with the estate.

It’s basically a court approval/order allowing them and giving them the authority to deal with the estate assets.

However if there is no will it’s a different document called Letters of Administration although it looks the same (but with a different title) and the effect is the same.

Although the executors apply for Grant of Probate, there are no executors if there is no will and it would normally be the closest living relative.  You will find the list of people on the government link I have sent you below.

The government have produced these webpages on exactly this subject:

Please read it in detail.

The property is then transferred from each beneficiary using an assent form AS1 from the land registry.

Stuart J and 3 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you