SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Today a warrant under the Rights of Entry (Gas and

Today a warrant under the Rights of Entry (Gas and Electricity Boards) Act 1954 was executed at my UK based commercial premises despite me informing the utility company I was the new tenant and sending via email by signed lease agreement as soon as it was requested. The energy company failed to cancel the warrant despite me sending the signed lease yesterday. They apologised and had to go in and refit the meter and mend the rear door which has took the best part of my day. I am furious, What can I do?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: The UK, no I haven't spoken to a lawyer. I don't know where to start. It's not about the money, its the lack of due diligence and disruption nd stress its caused
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Taken photos, the agents and electric meter guy were great but the energy company have not even bothered contacting me.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My landlords have also not bothered updating the energy company when the old tenants left. I was forced to open letters delivered to the unit last Sunday as Western Distribution couldn't tell me who the energy suppliers were. I immediately contacted ENGIE the energy company and had a recorder conversation on Monday morning and also the GROSVENOR Services the bailiff/ agents responsible for the warrant. I sent the email with copies of the signed lease immediately when ENGIE disconnections team asked for them I sent it back to the email address which they sent the email asking for it. It seems the disconnection chap ***** ***** who asked for it was working from home but the email languished in the office mailbox. One call to me would have sorted it but he presumed it was never sent

Hi welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your quesion now for you.

I am very sorry to hear of these circumstances. If they have refitted and repaired all damage then there really wouln't much else you can do. If the commercial premises is in operation and for the time all this was happening operations had to be suspended and there is consequential financial loss suffered by the business for the period of outage then you could look to claim damages to cover that loss and perhaps an apology. Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your follow up message, glad always to clarify. all the best.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you. We move into the premises next Monday but we had to stop production today to attend and deal with the issue at the new premises. I had to get another employee to drive me there because I have vertigo which stops me driving so we have lost a days production due to having to attend and deal with the aftermath as well as deal with all the correspondence which ensued. Not only that but it’s the amount of stress it has caused and neither my landlord nor the energy company have made any effort to contact me to apologise. So do you think it is reasonable to send them a bill to recover my costs for the disruption to my business today and seek an apology? Many thanks

Hi, you are welcome. Yes you should. However please note that being a business there is no ground for claiming compensation for stress, you can claim for lost management time where you had to dedicated your time to managing the issue though.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thank you for your valuable advice and excellent speed of response. Ness x