How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 15907
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

My Sister bought a council house which is next door to other

This answer was rated:

My Sister bought a council house which is next door to other council house tenants. The legal tenant passed away and her grandson who was in prison got released and moved as a squatter. This is what she told me. "His anti-social behavior is affecting health and mental state as I has been diagnosed with cancer cancer and other long term health conditions. Loud noise and music late at night means I and my daughter are not able to get proper sleep. This has impacted om my ability to work and it has put my job at risk. I have written to council, even the Chief Executive of the City's Housing as well as appealed for help form the local police and other bodies but after weeks and weeks nothing has happened. I feel I have no recourse but to take legal actions. Can I sue the Council? How can I obtain an eviction order. I am desperate she said.
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: She has kept a record of all the actions she has taken: writing to the head of housing, contact the antisocial behavior unit, as well as the local police station. She has copies of the letters sent to all agencies.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: She has not filed and legal documents so far. The house is located in St Anns Nottingham
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: This is all the info i have at present from speaking with her two days ago. She is willing to take legal action but needs to know the grounds for doing so. She is very fragile at the moment.


Thank you for your query.  I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

Unfortunately, you cannot obtain an eviction order as you are not the landlord.

What you can do is file a formal complaint with your local council. If you do not get a satisfactory response, you will have to escalate your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman.  Further details of how to make a complaint can be found at the following link:

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

INC Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you