How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 5433
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I’m in the process of purchasing a property and my current

Customer Question

I’m in the process of purchasing a property and my current conveyancer informed me recently that the firm can’t act for me any longer. She told me the reason is that the development is a former Military of defence site. Is it legal just to drop the case?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: don't think she has filed anything yet. As when she got the contract pack that is when she said she can't represent me any longer. What she has done are the searches and she said she is happy to forward me the results for them, so it does not have to be repeated
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer:*****Ely CB7 4RS
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I'm aware
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

sorry to hear what has happened.

Unfortunately, yes, a lawyer or law firm can indeed stop representing a client if it turns out that a conflict of interest arises or the firm feel out of their depth with the work and would not be able to properly represent the client.

You can ask them for an explanation as to why they can no longer represent you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
All I received so far was
It is more due to the fact that the conversion/development is of an old Ministry of Defence property.
Have you any advise how to find a new firm who want have the same issue?
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

I cannot advice on what other firms May or may not have a conflict, only they would know.

You would need to speak to other conveyancing firms to enquire.

It may be helpful to instruct a local solicitor who specialises in this area of law. You can find a local firm using the Law Society website.

Once on that website, you can click on the find a solicitor option located just above the Law Society logo. Select quick search, then select the area of law required and enter your post code. A list of local firms will then be displayed.

Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.