MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

Ca na landlord take me to court for arrears without a

Customer Question

Hello. Ca na landlord take me to court for arrears without a written tenancy agreement?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: There has been no paperwork filed, nor any notice to do so from the landlord. Just checking legal options at the moment....
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The landlord has been verbally abusive, in a racial context.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 16 days ago.

Hello I am happy to help with your enquiry.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello. Thank you

If you enter into a situation where a property is being rented out without a written tenancy arrangement specifying the terms and conditions of the tenancy, you’ve ultimately created a verbal/oral tenancy agreement.

While a verbal tenancy agreement isn’t particularly safe or smart for either landlord or tenant, it’s important to understand that it is still a legally binding contract, and both tenant and landlord still have statutory rights protecting them.

A tenant without a written contract is still entitled to all the statutory rights a regular tenant with a contract is, including water, heating, a safe environment etc. In a similar vein, the tenant is still obligated to pay rent on time and take reasonable care of the property.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I cannot call at the moment, as the landlord is present

Therefore the landlord will be able to recover the arrears from you. However remember you have statutory rights alluded to above.

Is there anything else I can help with tonight?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The landlord is lying about the monthly amount, while having no documented proof to sustain his claim

The monthly amount can be evidenced from your previous payments on your statements.

Is there anything else I can help with this morning?