Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I have a question regarding my tenant who has not paid the

Customer Question

I have a question regarding my tenant who has not paid the rent for over 2 months.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 22 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 22 days ago.

Hi there,

What is your specific question, please?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi Vineet, thanks. Here is some background and details about the situation:My tenant is currently on a periodic tenancy contract. He receives money from Universal Credit to pay the rent but has not paid me for 2.5 months which includes rent for the month of September.I gave him a 4 months notice to terminate our agreement on 3rd June 2021 as per Section 83 of the Housing Act 1985, applicable to Secure Periodic Tenancy and according that notice he is required to vacate the property on 3rd October 2021.I have contacted him multiple times via email and phone but he has not responded. I also visited the flat last week but he did not open the door. I have now also contacted Universal Credit to inform them about the non payments and am waiting to hear from them.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I'd like to know what further action I can take to get him to respond.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 22 days ago.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 22 days ago.

Hi there,

If the tenant fails to leave at the expiry of the notice period, then you would have to approach the court for possession orders.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 22 days ago.

You have served the notice.. You have taken all action which you could have have reasonably taken. You do not have to rely on other means to get your tenant to respond.

I trust this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thanks Vineet. Do you think a letter from a solicitor would help?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 22 days ago.

You can try but there are no guarantees that your tenant will respond to solicitor 's letter. Can be worth a try.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
ok. would you be able to provide one if we went ahead with this approach, and what will your fees be?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 22 days ago.

Kindly note, Just Answer is an information sharing platform in a Q/A format, not a substitution to full legal services.

For representation, you can find a solicitor using the Law Society find a solicitor search option here: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
My apologies. I assumed that experts on Just Answer could share their contact details if further paid services or assistance was required. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Vineet S replied 22 days ago.

No worries.

You are welcome. Have a good day. Regards.