How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3097
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I would like to ask some questions about how to deal with a

Customer Question

Hello, I would like to ask some questions about how to deal with a bathroom leak (that we're trying to deal 6 months now) and how to treat the landlord of the house, who all this time avoided to fix the major issue ( I can explain if needed), now that we delayed the rent 3 days cause we were waiting for an answer for discount, he threatened us that the issue is going to go to solicitors. Last but not least, he seems now that he wants to fix the issue, but after 6 months and this behaviour, we, as tenants, cannot believe him and we want to be safe and live in a proper environment with all the premises working. Thank you
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: E82HG
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I didn't understand the question, sorry
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I think that's all for now, thank you
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 22 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 22 days ago.

Hi there,

Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 implies an absolute and non-excludable obligation upon landlords to carry out basic repairs. A landlord must keep a property in an adequate state of repair in terms of the structure and exterior including any and all drains, gutters and external pipes.

The above section further requires Landlord to keep all of the “installations” in the property that supply water, gas, electricity and sanitation items (such as the toilets) in a good, working condition. Specific reference is given to this applying to basins, sinks, baths and “sanitary conveniences.

Landlords are under statutory obligation for all essential repairs under section 11 of the LTA.

If the Landlord is ignoring the repair requests then it should be reported to the Environmental health department of the Local council. They can issue fines and ask such landlord to carry out needed repairs.

Tenants can stop rent payments for the period of repairs only if mutually agreed with the landlord. So, tenants should not stop making rent payments for any disrepair issues.

Tenant can however , initiate compensation claim against their Landlord for their inconveniences and disrepair . Before tenant start a court claim for compensation, they must send a formal 'letter before action' to their landlord and their letting agent. This letter must set out the detail of your claim.

Tenant would need to file form N208 for claiming the amount.

Click below web link for the relevant form and guidance-

The rent of the property is used as a basis to calculate the compensation. You will be awarded a percentage of your rent that you paid while you resided in the house with the disrepair issue. The actual percentage that you will be awarded depends on the severity of the disrepair. A completely uninhabitable property will result in 100% compensation, however, this is extremely rare. Normally, compensation ranges between 25% to 50% of the rent of the property for the total period of disrepair

Expert:  Vineet S replied 22 days ago.

I trust this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.